FREE CONSULTATIONS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS

The Flint Journal & Genesee County Bar Association’s “Ask the Attorney”


Q. I am disabled because of an injury I sustained on my way in to work. Can I receive workers’ comp benefits?

A. An injury which “arises out of and in the course of employment” is covered by workers’ comp. Where exactly did your injury occur? Injuries that occur on the premises are ordinarily presumed to be covered. Injuries off the premises are also sometimes covered. If you were injured in a vehicular accident, you may be covered if your employer provided or paid for your transportation or mileage. Offsite injuries that occur during business travel or occur while performing activities that benefit the employer can also be covered. If you were injured in a vehicular accident, you may have other rights and benefits available besides workers’ comp. If the injury instead occurred in a parking area designated for workers that also can be compensable. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can review all of the facts and circumstances surrounding your injury to determine which benefits are available to you. Call us for a free consultation.

Atty. Robert J. MacDonald
–April 2010 column