FREE CONSULTATIONS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS

The Flint Journal & Genesee County Bar Association’s “Ask the Attorney” Column


Q. I took on a second part-time job to help pay my bills. I was injured on that job, and now I can’t do either of my jobs. The part-time employer’s insurance company is paying me 80% of the after-tax wages of what I made with that company, but I can’t survive on this money alone. What can I do?

A. The insurance carrier for your part-time employer should be including your wages from both jobs in calculating your workers’ compensation rate under the dual employment provisions of the Michigan Workers’ Disability Compensation Act. That insurance company can then sometimes seek partial reimbursement from a Fund managed by the State. Call the insurance carrier and tell them to pay you the appropriate comp rate–and if it won’t, call us instead.

Atty. Robert J. MacDonald
–April 2009 column