FREE CONSULTATIONS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS

The Flint Journal & Genesee County Bar Association’s “Ask the Attorney”


Q. I was hurt on the job. Because I can’t perform my original job anymore, my employer is giving me a light duty job within my restrictions–but it only pays minimum wage. I can’t afford to support my family on that. What can I do?

A. Your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier is required to pay you weekly partial wage loss benefits. It is required to pay you 80% of the difference between your after-tax average weekly wage before your injury and your after-tax weekly wages following your injury.. These payments can continue indefinitely, potentially for life, if you are not able to return to work at your former wage earning capacity. If your disability persists, the insurance company can also sometimes be required to pay for schooling and retraining.

Atty. Robert J. MacDonald
–July 2007 column