FREE CONSULTATIONS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS

The Flint Journal & Genesee County Bar Association’s “Ask the Attorney”


Q. I was hurt at work and I am trying to get medical treatment. My employer and its workers’ compensation insurance carrier are refusing to pay. I also have Blue Cross. Can I bill Blue Cross instead? What should I do?

A. If the medical treatment is necessary and related to a work injury, your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance should pay for it. You can file a claim for workers’ compensation with the Michigan Workers’ Compensation Agency and following a hearing, a Magistrate can order the insurance company to pay for care. In the meantime, Michigan law requires Blue Cross to initiate payment for your care. Blue Cross can then seek reimbursement from the workers’ compensation carrier. If you need assistance dealing with your own specific situation, please call us for a free consultation regarding your rights.

Atty. Robert J. MacDonald
–November 2010 column