FREE CONSULTATIONS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS 1-810-234-2204 1-855-55-BENEFITS

The Flint Journal & Genesee County Bar Association’s “Ask the Attorney” Column


Q. I was injured at work several weeks ago. I still hurt too much to work. My doctor wants me to stay off work. My employer’s insurance company cut off my workers’ comp benefits after hiring a doctor to examine me who told me to go back to work without restrictions. What should I do?

A. Workers’ compensation magistrates have the power to decide whether you are still disabled and whether or not you are refusing a job within your physical capacity without good cause. It is usually a good idea to at least try to do a job offered to you if there is a difference in medical opinion. If you can’t do the work, you can file an Application for Hearing with the Michigan Workers’ Compensation Agency to ask a Magistrate to find that you are still disabled and to ask a Magistrate to order the insurance company to continue to pay ongoing benefits. Call us for advice and assistance to deal with your specific situation

Atty. Robert J. MacDonald
–October 2010 column